Snow Day + National Cream Cheese Brownie Day = Extra Workout!
Today is one of those bittersweet winter days as there is no school due to an impending storm which in itself is a wonderful thing, but on the other hand, come June, this snowday really puts a damper on having an early summer vacation! I guess you can’t have it all. But wait! Today, February 10, is National Cream Cheese Brownie day! I am home, snowbound in a couple hours, and have all the ingredients I need to fill my home with the aroma of fresh baked brownies and after a long walk and a couple hours of shoveling a small brownie will not wreak havoc with my diet! I might even get an hour of Wii in also. Here is a quick and easy recipe for Cream Cheese Brownies. Have a wonderful holiday!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Swirled Brownies
1 pkg. dark brownie mix
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips (no option here!) I used mint and dark chocolate chips to give just a hint of mint to this recipe! Worked great!
Cream Cheese Mixture:
3 tablespoons butter, softened
5 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 drops red or green food coloring
Combine butter and cream cheese, creaming until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in 1 egg, flour, vanilla, and food coloring. Set aside.
1 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions adding in nuts and chips if desired. Pour half in a greased 13 x 9 pan.
2. Cover with cheese mixture; top with remaining chocolate batter.
3. Cut through mixture in pan with a knife to create a marbled effect.
4. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes. Perform the knife check to see if done. If not, cook a little longer.
5. Cool on wire rack; cut into squares.
6. When cool, prepare glaze.
1. Melt chocolate with butter in the microwave. If too thick, add more butter. If too thin add more chocolate.
2. Spread over brownies.